Search This Blog

Monday, March 2, 2015

Make your own Purification Oil - Recipe and Uses

Young Living has it's own brand of Purification Essential Oil. However, you can easily make your own Purification Blend. I'll call it Fresh & Clean. There are many uses for this oil blend. It's great for deodorizing, air freshener and purifier. It's also great for your skin too!

The blend contains Citronella, Lemongrass, Lavender, Rosemary, Melaleuca (Tea Tree) and Myrtle essential oils.

How to Use Fresh & Clean Essential Oil

1. Air freshener and purifier.  Diffuse to eliminate odors and purify the air. If you don't have a diffuser you can also put a few drops on a cotton ball and place in air vents or mix with water to make a spray. This works great in the kitchen for last nights fish dinner or to clean out a smelly car! It helps remove cigarette smells.

2. Insect bites. Put a drop or two on an itchy insect bite for immediate relief. Apply to mosquito bites to stop the itching.

3. Keep fleas away. Make a homemade spray: 1/2 c. Distilled water, 8-10 drops of Fresh & Clean EO, 1 drop of Thieves. Place in a bottle and shake.

4. Skin blemishes. Put one drop of Fresh and Clean on a pimple to help it clear up faster. You can also make a skin moisturizer with Jojoba Oil which is also great for the skin.

5. All Natural Deodorant. Apply a few drops of Fresh & Clean to your arms pits. It will help to keep you stink free all day! You can also add a drop of Sage EO if you need a natural antiperspirant.

6. Sterilize cuts and wounds. 

7. Stinky shoes. Put a few drops on a cotton ball and place in shoes.

8. Diaper Pails.  Put a few drops on a cotton ball and place in the bottom of the diaper pail.

8. Insect Repellent. Great for camping! Citronella is a natural insect repellent. Mix with water or alcohol and spray on clothing as a mosquito/bug repellent.

9. Clean your washing machine. Set your machine on rinse cycle and add 2-3 drops of Fresh & Clean. You can also add a few drops to your laundry detergent to get rid of the sour smells, in case you left the clothes in the washer too long.

10. Freshen clothes in the dryer. Add a drop or two to your dryer balls or a damp washcloth to freshen up clothes in the dryer.

11. Germ protection when traveling. Put a few drops on your hands and inhale during a flight. This can help get rid of germs from the recycled air.

12. Wet dog smell.  When your dog comes in from the rain, diffuse to remove the smell in your home.

*****Fresh & Clean Homemade Recipe*****

25 drops Citronella
20 drops Lemongrass 
20 drops Rosemary
20 drops Melaleuca (Tea Tree) 
15 drops Lavender
15 drops Myrtle

Mix all oils together in a dark glass bottle. Mix with 1/2 tsp carrier oil to apply to skin.

(The recipe above makes a very small amount. I always start out small to see how I like the blend and then double or triple the recipe if I will be using it a lot.)

Larger batch (tripled)

75 drops Citronella
60 drops Lemongrass 
60 drops Rosemary
60 drops Melaleuca (Tea Tree) 
45 drops Lavender
45 drops Myrtle

Mix all oils together in a dark glass bottle. Mix one or two drops of the blend with  1/2 tsp carrier oil to apply to skin. 


 It smells very much like a citronella candle and I used it outdoors in the evening to repel the mosquitoes, I think a few managed to nibble me before I remembered to spray some on but for the most part I didn't get eaten alive. I also diffused it in my infant daughters room and put a few drops on a cotton ball and put in the diaper pail. It seems to have worked for the most part! I'll have to use it a little more to get the full effect of removing odors.

******* Update on Purification Oil Blend *******

I mixed the Purification Oil blend in a small glass spray bottle and sprayed it directly into the diaper pail and it worked a lot better then just putting a few drops on a cotton ball. No more lingering diaper smell in the nursery!



Disclaimer:The information on this site is for educational purposes only. It is not intended to diagnose or prescribe any of these products for you or your family. In the case of illness you should contact your health care professional. In no instances shall the owner of this website or its affiliates be responsible or liable for any damages whatsoever resulting in connection with the use of this information, products, or its publication. The decision to use any information from this site is the sole responsibility of the reader.

20 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the math and this is $1.23 per 15mL MORE expensive than Purification. Why do you mix it yourself? What is the benefit that makes it worth it to you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Thank you for your interest in my blog. I purchase my oils from Aura Cacia and have a wholesale account so the oils are considerably less expensive to purchase than from the larger oil companies. But in all actuality I could essentially make more than 15ml or .5 oz of the purification oil by purchasing the oils separately and mixing them myself. Plus, by purchasing each oil separately if I don't make a large batch I still have the remainder of each oil to use for other purposes. I'm in Glendale.

      Delete
  3. Oh hey.. I'm in Arizona as well.. in Gilbert - where are you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great! I totally agree with purchasing the oils separately as opposed to buying blends. I'm looking at your recipe now thinking how awesome it is I already have half the oils that I've used to brew up some familiar faves like the "robber" and "cold tnt" blend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome Ashley! I love blending my own!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the recipe. I noticed that your recipe where you triple it isn't quite right, math-wise. 20 drops tripled would be 60, not 70. Was there a reason you did 70 instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, is there a reason you triple the carrier oil ratio when applying to the skin? It's just supposed to be a larger batch of the same combination, right?

      Delete
  6. Hi Jaimie! Thank you for your interest in my blog! :) Just typo error I will get that corrected ASAP! Thanks for letting me know. Yes, just a larger batch of the blend. You should still blend just a drop or two of the oil with 1/2 tsp of carrier oil. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, it may be more expensive to mix your own but if you run out and YL has this on back order you could mix some to get by until it is back in stock.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It would only be more expensive to make your own if you use DT or YL oils.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It would only be more expensive to make your own if you use DT or YL oils.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you know if there are any other DIY blend recipes rather than having to buy DT or YL blends

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simone, that is what I have ultimately created on my blog site, blends of DT and YL oils to make your self. Other bloggers have recipes as well.

      Delete
  11. For the spray do you use distilled water or just spray neat? Thanks a million. Learning so much from your site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ana, you will want to dilute the spray for the Purification Blend. It can be quit a strong scent. I dilute mine with a carrier oil such as Jojoba Oil. But any carrier oil will work, with the exception of coconut oil. Coconut oil tends to firm up to a solid in cooler climates. I did also add some water to my blend since it seems to be very strong for my nose. You can use distilled or I just used regular filtered water. Thank you for following my blog and I'm glad your enjoying it!!!

      Delete
  12. I looked this up today too because I can't seem to keep enough purification on hand for all my uses. I also am not brand specific so I even use a blend of brands. Purification had changed my life in this mosquito ridden part of Florida. If I treat the bite as soon as we get one, no swelling and pustules. Life saver! My babies get such horrible reactions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tasha! Purification Blend is awesome to have on hand and has SO many uses. I'm so glad that it's helped you and your kiddos with the mosquitoes and bites. My daughter has quite the reaction too. So much redness and swelling. Purification to the rescue though!! Thanks for reading my blog!

      Delete
  13. I looked this up today too because I can't seem to keep enough purification on hand for all my uses. I also am not brand specific so I even use a blend of brands. Purification had changed my life in this mosquito ridden part of Florida. If I treat the bite as soon as we get one, no swelling and pustules. Life saver! My babies get such horrible reactions.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the blend! We're having our house painted, and it's summer, outside, so I'm not opening windows. I just started diffusing this blend (I don't use YL, so I blended myself, and it's A LOT cheaper, too), and the painters immediately stopped and asked what that smell was. They LOVED it! And, I'm not getting a migraine from the fumes. So, hooray!

    Question, some people also add lemon to their blend of purification. Does YL?

    ReplyDelete