Search This Blog

Friday, March 13, 2015

What is an Essential Oil Diffuser and How to use one

What is an Essential Oil Diffuser? 

I have been asked many times what is a diffuser? I compare it to a humidifier but it is a little different. Essentially, essential oil diffusers fill the air with microscopic particles of the chosen essential oil and water. The essential oils and water are diffused by ultrasound waves while adding humidity to the air and filling the room with aromatics. This is extremely beneficial when you or someone in your family is sick.

I actually have two diffusers in our home. I have a small one I purchased at Sprouts which is the Now brand. This particular one runs for approximately 3-4 hours and was about $45.00. I also have a larger one I purchased off of Zulilly but you can find them on Amazon as well. The large diffuser runs about 10-12 hours and has increments of time you can set ranging from 30 minutes to all day.

I use the smaller one in my infant daughters room to diffuse lavender at bedtime and the large one in our family room.

Cleaning your Diffuser

Cleaning your diffuser is fairly simple. They say not to use distilled or purified water and clean it after every use by letting vinegar sit inside for about 10 minutes. I clean mine about every 2-3 days and wipe it out with a paper towel and also clean the magnet part on the inside gently. The magnet is the atomizer and sometimes the output is less when it gets dirty. The vinegar is an important step in maintaining your diffuser.

Using your Diffuser 

During the cold/flu and now allergy season I have been diffusing Thieves Oil and the Allergy Trio on a daily basis. During the weekends when I'm home cleaning or playing with the kids I have diffused Lemon and Lime for a nice fresh aroma throughout the house. Citrus oils are clean, uplifting and inviting aromas. You can also diffuse the Purification blend to clean the air in your home, say after that fish dinner. For relaxation you can also diffuse lavender and chamomile. You can diffuse whatever your heart or nose desires!

Purification Oil Blend
Thieves Oil Blend
Allergy Trio Blend


For the smaller diffuser I add about 3-5 drops of essential oil. For the larger diffuser I add about 8-10 drops. It all depends on how strong the aroma output is of the oil and how sensitive your nose is to scents.

Other Types of Diffusers 

There are many other types of diffusers that are available. They have "plug-in" ones similar to a Glade plug-in that have cotton pads that you drop the oil on and insert into the "plug-in". There are terra cotta rings that you can place oils in and set on top of the light bulb in your lamp. They even have USB plug-ins for the office. There are all different types of diffusers for what works best for you.

Here are the images of the diffusers I use in our home.


5 comments:

  1. Great post! I am actually getting ready to across this information, is very helpful my friend. Also great blog here with all of the valuable information you have. Keep up the good work you are doing here.
    william

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always searching online for articles that can help me. There is obviously a lot to know about this. I think you made some good points in Features also. Keep working, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had this Now Ultrasonic Diffuser for almost a year now and I love it. Although sometimes the fan inside of it can be loud for no reason, then I have to move it a bit or give it a thump and it evens itself out. I like that you can keep it at a specific color light and that it has a low light setting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melissa! I've had my Now Ultrasonic Diffuser for almost 3 years now. It's the output is not quit a much as it used to. I may need to replace it soon. But I figure 3 years is good for as much as I use mine, almost daily!! I've used it at home and brought it back and forth to my office. Yes, my daughters like having the light on as a night light when I run it in their rooms. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing that detail. It was fascinating and insightful. Addition to this here I am sharing 1 more similar Story, Kindly visit our websites:
    essential oils
    buy essential oils
    Carrier oils
    fragrance oils

    ReplyDelete